Cannabis sativa extract with low THC content in beagle
Hannon MB, Deabold KA, Talsma BN, Lyubimov A, Iqbal A, Zakharov A, Gamble LJ y Wakshlag JJ
J Vet Pharmacol Ther (2020)
It has been shown that cannabinoids can be effective and very promising in the treatment of inflammation and chronic pain in dogs. Specifically when talking about these health problems we can focus on cannabidiol (CBD) and its derivative cannabidiolic acid (CBDA). Current information on the application of these compounds by transdermal routes is scarce. The aim of this study was to determine the efficiency of these compounds and to determine the pharmacokinetics of their administration via transdermal administration of a Cannabis extract. This extract was administered in doses with low THC content in healthy dogs. A total of six beagles were treated with CBD- and CBDA-rich extracts and the serum concentrations of these components were examined. At the end of weeks 1 and 2 of treatment, a concentration of 4 mg/kg ng/ml CBDA, traces of THCA and amounts below the detection level of THC in serum were found. The conclusive results showed that CBDA and THCA were better absorbed systemically than CBD or THC.
Link to sumary: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32735381/
- Bartner, L. R., McGrath, S., Rao, S., Hyatt, L. K., & Wittenburg, L. A. (2018). Pharmacokinetics of cannabidiol administered by 3 delivery methods at 2 different dosages to healthy dogs. Canadian Journal of Veterinary Research, 82, 178-183.
- Birnbaum, A. K., Karanam, A., Marino, S. E., Barkley, C. M., Remmel, R. P., Roslawski, M., … Leppik, I. E. (2019). Food effect on pharmacokinetics of cannabidiol oral capsules in adult patients with refractory epilepsy. Epilepsia, 60, 1586-1592. https://doi.org/10.1111/epi.16093
- Bråred Christensson, J., Karlberg, A. T., Andersen, K. E., Bruze, M., Johansen, J. D., Garcia-Bravo, B., … White, I. R. (2016). Oxidized limonene and oxidized linalool – concomitant contact allergy to common fragrance terpenes. Contact Dermatitis, 74, 273-280.
- Bruni, N., Pepa, C. D., Oliaro-Bosso, S., Pessione, E., Gastaldi, D., & Dosio, F. (2018). Cannabinoid delivery systems for pain and inflammation treatment. Molecules, 2478, 1-25. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules23102478
- Eichler, M., Spinedi, L., Unfer-Grauwiler, S., Bodmer, M., Surber, C., Luedi, M., & Drewe, J. (2012). Heat Exposure of Cannabis sativa extracts affects the pharmacokinetic and metabolic profile in healthy male subjects. Planta Medica, 78, 686-691.