Cannabis sativa extract with low THC content in beagles.
Hannon MB, Deabold KA, Talsma BN, Lyubimov A, Iqbal A, Zakharov A, Gamble LJ y Wakshlag JJ
J Vet Pharmacol Ther (2020)
Cannabinoids have been shown to be effective and very promising in treating chronic pain and inflammation in dogs. Specifically when we talk about these health problems we can focus on cannabidiol (CBD) and its derivative cannabidiolic acid (CBDA). Current information on the application of these components by transdermal routes is scarce. The objective of this study has been to determine the efficiency of these components and determine the pharmacokinetics in their transdermal administration of a Cannabis extract. This extract was administered in doses with low THC content in healthy dogs. It was performed on a total of six beagles with extracts rich in CBD and CBDA and the serum concentrations of these components were examined. At the end of weeks 1 and 2 of treatment, a concentration of 4 mg / kg of ng / ml of CBDA, traces of THCA and amounts below the level of detection of THC in serum were found. The conclusive results showed that CBDA and THCA were better absorbed systemically than CBD or THC.
Link to abstract: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32735381/
- Bartner, L. R., McGrath, S., Rao, S., Hyatt, L. K., & Wittenburg, L. A. (2018). Pharmacokinetics of cannabidiol administered by 3 delivery methods at 2 different dosages to healthy dogs. Canadian Journal of Veterinary Research, 82, 178-183.
- Birnbaum, A. K., Karanam, A., Marino, S. E., Barkley, C. M., Remmel, R. P., Roslawski, M., … Leppik, I. E. (2019). Food effect on pharmacokinetics of cannabidiol oral capsules in adult patients with refractory epilepsy. Epilepsia, 60, 1586-1592. https://doi.org/10.1111/epi.16093
- Bråred Christensson, J., Karlberg, A. T., Andersen, K. E., Bruze, M., Johansen, J. D., Garcia-Bravo, B., … White, I. R. (2016). Oxidized limonene and oxidized linalool – concomitant contact allergy to common fragrance terpenes. Contact Dermatitis, 74, 273-280.
- Bruni, N., Pepa, C. D., Oliaro-Bosso, S., Pessione, E., Gastaldi, D., & Dosio, F. (2018). Cannabinoid delivery systems for pain and inflammation treatment. Molecules, 2478, 1-25. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules23102478
- Eichler, M., Spinedi, L., Unfer-Grauwiler, S., Bodmer, M., Surber, C., Luedi, M., & Drewe, J. (2012). Heat Exposure of Cannabis sativa extracts affects the pharmacokinetic and metabolic profile in healthy male subjects. Planta Medica, 78, 686-691.